Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A new leaf?

There once was a man named Eric Blair. He was a Briton and was very unhappy with his life, in fact no one ever really thought he'd make anything of himself. Unsure of where he was headed and with no direction or ambition to speak of, young Blair decided that he would join the Indian Imperial Police (remember, India was ruled by Great Britain then.) After retiring from the Indian Imperial Police - which he hated - Blair went back to his family's home in England and locked himself in his room.

Barely anyone saw him for the span of a year.

By years end, he emerged from his room declaring that he wanted to be a writer and would then go on to write some of the best English literature by the name of George Orwell.

I've been lounging around in my room this week... I think I want to write. I don't really need anything to be published, I doubt I ever will. But I think I want to write fiction. I want to write about people. I want to write stories of redemption. I want to write tragedies. I want to hear the *tlak, tlak, tlak* of my keyboard. I just want to create.

I've gotten four books on writing this week. Books on how to build plots, how to set up scenes, how to write dialogue and create characters. I am reading this weeks novel "Less than Zero" with new eyes. I never understood how much work went into the book, and how real fictional characters must become before they can be put on a page.

I was reading an interview with the author of "Pop Salvation," Lance Reynald. He created a whole playlist or soundtrack for his novel. How brilliant! I looked over the list and I kid you not, though no songs were mentioned, I heard each song throughout the book! I'm learning about character profiles and how much you have to know your character to get him right. I have to know every little detail such as his favorite smell, is he a dog or cat person? lefty or right handed? even though I may never write a single sentence about his favorite smell being play-doh and crayons, I must know this to make him real. He must be a real person to me if I am ever to convey him in a real way. I stand amazed.

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine about words. I love words. I love how some words sound. I love how some words just fit perfectly. Like behoove. I love the word behoove. Its a perfect word. I could say:

"It would be to my benefit if I took physics this year, instead of the next"

or

I could say: "It would behoove me to take physics this year, instead of the next"

Perfect word.

she said I have a writer's mind. I also like the word snarky and aloof. They sound just like what they are. lets see if anything good comes out of this little foray into writing?

No comments:

Post a Comment