Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Poor


three years ago I made a decision.

I decided I wanted to join some friends and move into one of the poorest black neighborhoods in Miami. It was something my friends were calling incarnational ministry. meaning... in the same way as God became man (incarnation) to minister (ministry) to us... so we should live among those whom we want to minister to. I thought it was a novel idea, and heck... Jesus seems to be a big fan of the poor.

Currently, I work at a bank in the drive through. as such, I have a lovely view of the parkinglot all day long. for that past couple of weeks there has been a homeless man sleeping in the corner of the parkinglot. He just stays under some boxes. I know he's alive because he gets up from time to time, but doesn't really do much. then goes back to the boxes.

As a Christian, I base my morality and my action on what the Bible says. As such, I saw the guy and the verse from Matthew 25 popped into my head. It goes something like this: Some people meet Jesus in heaven and he tells them they cant get in. they ask "why cant we get in?" and he replies "when I was hungry you did not feed me, when I was thirsty you did not give me to drink." He goes on to explain that "whatever you do for the least of these, you did for me."

so I'm staring at this homeless guy for ten hours a day and I think... "watch that be Jesus and it comes back to bite me in the butt!" so I thought I'd get him some mcdonalds today. well... I ended up not getting him McDonalds cuz I was late and there was a line. And I'm there feeling all guilty because I'm letting Jesus starve, when sucker sits up and starts smoking a blunt! Then I thought... maybe He's not Jesus!

here's the thing though. I've kinda gotten jaded, and its not just because of this homeless guy... but because of all the poor and homeless I've met throughout the years.

When I read the things Jesus says about the poor, I wonder if He meant that to mean the poor in America or the poor of His time? See these are two totally different things.

Back in Jesus' time poverty was more of an institution you couldn't get out of than an actual consequence of the life you lived. In those days, you were poor probably because you were considered a sinner, had leprosy or maybe were born out of wedlock. perhaps you were a widow and could not work (because women weren't allowed to work) or you were excessively taxed by the roman government. Or lets face it... maybe you were just born poor and therefore schools and society weren't open to you.

America is a totally different story though. Though poverty exists, it seems more like a consequence of the decisions you make rather than a set of cards life dealt you. One good heroin addiction and you're liable to be sleeping by a dumpster come veterans day! I mean really.... I see poverty all around me and I notice, its people who made the conscious choice not to go to school, or someone who got into a bad drug habit.

Oh but some people cant go to school! some might argue.

well... I argue back.

I for example, have absolutely no financial aid. My family doesn't pay for my schooling and you know what... I actually still go to school. Sure its tougher, sure I take longer... but I'm still going. And even so... you at least graduate from high school, that can get you a decent job.

I see no reason for there to be homeless in America. If anything, there are shelters... but the homeless dont want to avail themselves of it.

another argument is that homelessness can be as a result of mental illness. again, there are mental hospitals which they can go to for treatment.

if its a drug addiction, there are state funded rehab facilities.

there is just no good reason to be homeless! I dont understand.

1 comment:

  1. Good post Frank. I like your integrity to be honest.

    However, your comparison of the poor from Jesus' earthly time to now is arguing from silence. All of those things you mention as differences are true to a certain extent but you don't know that there wasn't a drug problem among the poor of Jesus' time. I hear that the Romans and the surrounding tribes/communities of Israel were VERY good at mood altering substances. israel was known for a little bit of that herself from time to time.

    I think the point is it isn't for you to judge. It's just for you to do... not out of legalistic guilt but out of simply wanting to bless God through sacrificial service.

    God died for that man living under the boxes without pre-conditions. You can certainly buy a dude a McGriddle.

    Cuz you know he's probably got a good case of the munchies going on a lot.

    :)

    ReplyDelete